Advice: These traffic rules should be observed abroad


These traffic rules should be observed abroad

Advice: These traffic rules should be observed abroad-traffic

Different countries, different customs: you should look closely at the information sign behind the state border, because if you violate the traffic rules, there are usually no tourist bonus

Source: picture-alliance / dpa

How fast can I drive, what is the alcohol limit? The traffic rules abroad are sometimes very different from ours. It is better not to speculate on a tourist bonus.

A.Even if Europe grows closer and closer together. The traffic rules can differ significantly in the individual countries. Especially with the sanctions for traffic sins. The question “How fast can I drive here again?” Is just one of many that one asks when traveling abroad.

Italy for example, is particularly strict in the fight against drunk driving. Anyone caught with more than 1.5 per mille must expect their car to be confiscated and foreclosed. Other special features should also be taken into account.

Winter tires are only allowed between mid-May and mid-October if they have a speed index that is at least equal to the maximum speed entered in the vehicle registration document. The index can be found on the tire wall as the last position in the dimension code in the form of a letter. For orientation: the further back this comes in the alphabet, the higher the permitted speed (example: "S" stands for 180 km / h, "T" for 190 km / h).

Denmark threatens drunk drivers like Italy with the foreclosure of their vehicle. The limit there is 2.0 per mille. In the Switzerland On the other hand, especially fast drivers should curb themselves. Anyone traveling at a speed of 70 km / h in a 30 km / h zone or exceeding the speed limit on motorways by 80 km / h must expect a one-year prison sentence.

In France the traffic light provides additional information. On the back of its housing, a cross-shaped red light shows oncoming traffic that it is red. Then you can safely turn left as long as your own traffic light is green.

Smoking ban in Greece

There are also special traffic light rules in Slovenia. There you have to stop at yellow, not first at red. In addition, foreigners should always pay fines immediately, as the police may otherwise confiscate ID cards or take the driver and vehicle into custody.

who in Austria builds a minor accident should refrain from calling the police. If the matter could also have been settled by exchanging personal details among those involved, the officers called would levy a “blue light tax” of 36 euros.

However, drivers should always call the police in the event of an accident Croatia. Vehicles that are visibly damaged may only leave the country with a police confirmation of the damage.

Special attention is in Hungary when buying a motorway vignette. According to ADAC, there are often number rotators when recording the license plate at the sales outlets. Then there is a risk of high additional claims and fines. The receipts should therefore be checked directly.

And if you want to smoke a calming cigarette in Greek traffic, it is better not to have children on board. Because in Greece Smoking is prohibited in the car if children under the age of twelve are traveling with it. This rule applies to private vehicles as well as buses and taxis. Violations are punished with 1500 euros (3000 euros in buses and taxis). There is no tourist bonus.

You can drive faster in Poland at night

In addition, speed limits are not uniformly regulated in Europe. Drivers should therefore find out about the respective speed restrictions, especially in transit countries, before traveling. This is important because abroad there is often a risk of high fines even if the limit is exceeded only slightly.

Vacationers should be careful in Great Britain, where the speed is given in miles. A maximum of 112 km / h can be driven on motorways and expressways and 96 km / h on country roads.

Also Poland has some special regulations. You can drive at a maximum of 100 km / h on two-lane expressways and 120 km / h on four-lane expressways. In urban areas, as in most European countries, a limit of 50 km / h applies in principle – except at night from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m., when drivers are allowed to drive at 60 km / h.

Anyone who exceeds the speed by around 20 km / h, for example, must be in Norway Pay from 430 euros. Exceeding this is also expensive in Italy (from 170 euros), in the Switzerland (from 150 euros) and in Great Britain (from 120 euros).

How traffic sins are punished in other countries can be found at to read. The AvD provides information on speed limits for motorcycle, trailer and mobile home drivers at

Related articles

Please follow and like us:

Leave a Comment