New WHO recommendations
Border value madness: In Germany, hundreds of cities threaten new driving bans
Site/Wochit Border value madness: In Germany, hundreds of cities threaten new driving bans
Site editor Sebastian Viehmann
In Germany there are no longer any limit value overruns in fine dust and only a few in nitrogen oxides. But in the future there could be new guidelines – so that hundreds of cities and rural regions are being banned for diesel and petrol engines overnight.
For links on this page, Site receives. A commission from the dealer, Z.B. For marked. However, more information is not a deterioration in air quality – rather the air in German cities has continuously improved in recent years – but has improved new recommendations from the World Health Organization. A significant reduction in the recommended limit values for different air pollutants is provided:
- The limit for Nitrogen – In Germany it became known primarily in connection with diesel driving bans – should therefore From 40 micrograms per cubic meter of air to 10 micrograms reduce. The current EU limit is 40 micrograms.
- Of the Fine dust limit (pm 10) is reduced from 50 to 45 micrograms (current EU limit: 50)
- The fine dust limit (pm 2.5) is reduced from 10 to 5 micrograms (current EU limit: 25 micrograms)
Driving bans in more than 250 cities possible
In Germany there are currently no longer exceeding fine dust limit values in the ambient air. There are also only a few exceeding with nitrogen oxides, so that so far there have been only a few driving bans for diesel vehicles. A big influence on the pollutant concentration in nitrogen oxides on traffic-related measuring points is attached to them, whereby this is no longer the case with newer diesel vehicles.
This Tesla fuels petrol! Electro hybrid creates over 1000 kilometers with a mini battery
Site This Tesla fuels petrol! Electro hybrid creates over 1000 kilometers with a mini battery
If you were now based on the new WHO recommendations and look at the current air quality data of the environmental federal office (UBA), there is a completely different picture: All nationwide 252 municipal traffic -related measuring stations exceed the targeted guideline of 10 micrograms per cubic meter of air per year. Even in small cities and in the country there are numerous exceedances.
Transport and Tariff Association Stuttgart GmbH (VVS) A S-Bahn underground station in Stuttgart. According to Dekra measurements, passengers sometimes take considerable amounts of fine dust here
The paradox, but after the experience with the diesel driving bans, consequences: it would be cities that just as "clean" applied because the limit values – as is currently the case nationwide at fine dust measuring stations – were no longer exceeded at all, Quasi overnight to cities with an allegedly dramatic pollution, solely by definition about new limit values. The cities would have to write new air pitching plans, probably new driving bans and speed limits impose, environmental associations would complain – that is, the whole game as with the first diesel driving bans would start again.
The E-Class becomes electric-and three more new Daimler models
Site The E-Class becomes electric-and three more new Daimler models
There is a threat of a new ban disaster
The requirements of the largely privately financed WHO are not legally binding, for example, the USA is not based on it because they consider the assessment to be unreliable. However, the EU is based on the specifications and will probably take over the new limit values. The Greens are already calling for new tightening. Sven Giegold, MEP of the Greens and now State Secretary in the Ministry of Economic Affairs in the traffic light coalition, said at response to the new WHO specifications on his website: "The European Parliament has already specified the direction for new legislation. In March we decided an ambitious text on air quality in Europe. In it, we call the EU Commission unequivocally to fully adjust the limit values for fine dust, sulfur dioxide, ozone and other pollutants to the updated scientific guidelines of the WHO by changes in the air quality guidelines." Under the leadership of the Greens, a new limit value debate will be on the table in the new year 2022.
Electric car 2022 (display)
All electric car and plug-in hybrid models at a glance
Compare numerous models now
How has the air quality developed?
The fact is: the air has improved in German cities, in a continuous trend for years. According to the Federal Environment Agency and other experts, there are various reasons for this:
- A rejuvenation of the vehicle fleet, i.e. the regular exchange of older diesel cars and transporters through those with new exhaust gas standards
- The partly official, partly voluntary software updates of the engine control in older diesel cars
- Weather influences
- The increasing proportion of (local) emission -free electric cars
- Various measures such as speed limits or driving bans for individual streets, although – see the lack of "Corona effect" – In individual cases it is hard to determine which measures have now worked where and how exactly. Measurements during the Corona Lockdown showed that the influence of traffic and thus also of diesel driving bans have a much lower influence on air quality than expected .
Leopoldina Disease pollution in Germany: In the first place, there are impair nutrition and obesity, high blood pressure, smoking and metabolic diseases as risk factors. Air pollution ranks below
Driving bans would often not be enough
All of these progress would be waste if the EU attracts the border value screw again. What many don’t know: If the limit values are lowered, it would not remain with traffic bans for cars. Government spokesman Steffen Seibert said in 2018 in a press conference by the federal government when asked whether all cities would comply with the limit values in 2019 with exceeding: "This will not be able to happen because in the most loaded cities, for example, road traffic is only one of several sources of pollutants. In port cities you first have to get the situation under control with the ships to really get under these limit values. This means that with measures that we now meet for individual road traffic, we will achieve a lot, especially at short notice in the low loaded cities. In the heavily stressed cities, however, one will also have to think of completely different aspects than – in quotation marks – only on road traffic."Mind you, this statement referred to the currently valid limit values. The EU continues its limit and Germany implements the expected new guidelines, So not only threatens diesel driving bans, but also general driving bans for cars and trucks. Fine dust, for example, is not only caused by exhaust gases, but also from non -avoidable dust when braking and by tire abrasion. But heating, industrial plants and agricultural companies that produce fine dust or nitrogen oxide emissions in a measurable area would also be affected.
Vintage car and garbage cars – soon electrical?
German wave Vintage car and garbage cars – soon electrical?
You might also be interested in:
- After 16 years the Merkel era is now over. However, what follows is still in the Argen. Can Laschet become chancellor despite the defeat? What changes for the citizens now? Many things are still open. Site answers the five most pressing questions about the Bundestag election. Bundestag election – it is unfair if Laschet becomes chancellor? The 5 most important questions about the election quake
- Christian Lindner is one of the winners of this evening, and maybe he and his liberals will even be the big winners of this Bundestag election in the end. He did it because he differed from all competitors in a decisive point. What does he do now? Analysis by Ulrich Reitz – KOnigsmacher Lindner: He understood what Baerbock never wanted to understand
- Increase bank fees, only with the customer’s consent? The Federal Court of Justice recently ruled illegally. Now the extent of the judgment shows: it is about 5 billion euros, at least. But not all customers benefit from the judgment – here you can find out everything important. Illegal increase in fees – up to 300 euros reimbursement! This is how customers get their bank fees back
- The vaccination rate is 74 percent. In no federal state as many people are vaccinated as in Bremen. Nevertheless, the city state is also in the lead in the event of incidence. Site explains the possible reasons. Paradoxes infection – the Corona puzzle of Bremen: Despite the highest vaccination rate, there is an incidence of over 100
Now learn more about the future of mobility
On our e-mobility portal site you will find all e-vehicles & hybrids available on the German market with technical data, prices, delivery times and model comparisons. There are ongoing insider news, tests of all important vehicles, an overview of charging stations and a range computer.
You can also arrange a test drive for your desired car for free and start e-mobility easily.
Diesel, petrol engine – and also the train? Experts want limit value: 335 cities threaten driving bans Transport and Tariff Association Stuttgart GmbH…
High nitrogen oxide pollution Diesel summit in Berlin: In 28 cities in Germany, driving bans threaten dpa Traffic jam on the middle ring in Munich…
Diesel driving bans In the case of limit value: driving bans would be possible in 96 cities in the future Automobilclub from Germany / Shutterstock /…
City day raises the alarm German major cities are preparing for all diesel cars Is your home there? Many diesel vehicles could be banned in these eleven…
Berlin is planning diesel-out for 2020 New car hammer: cities are allowed to ban brand new diesel and petrol engines ADAC A exhaust test of the ADAC Site…
Lockdown showed little effect Air was much better – diesel driving bans still possible in six cities Markus Scholz/dpa Cars drive on Stresemannstrasse in…
This is stupid stupid The diesel disaster: New documentation shows madness of driving bans Automobilclub from Germany / Shutterstock / Riko Best Diesel…
Diesel chaos, new tank rules, online approval Driving bans in 10 cities: What changes for drivers 2019 Mobile in Germany In 2019 there are numerous…
Impending diesel driving bans Nitrogen oxide pollution in 57 cities continues to be too high dpa dpa/Hauke-Christian Dittrichbild Federal Environment…
Supposedly 84.000 deaths due to air pollution Role model for Germany? Italy imposes driving bans because of smog Cattle man A policewoman regulates…