Skoda relies on eco materials and researches biological raw materials

Skoda relies on eco materials and researches biological raw materials-relies

The Department of Technical Development at Skoda has developed a sustainable, ecological material together with the Technical University of Liberec and pending patent. As a starting material for the innovative raw material serve crushed sugar beet. In addition, the Czech automaker works on a further material based on the reed plant Miscanthus. Both could in future be used in the interior of new SKODA models, such as door panels or decorative inserts in the medium. On the basis of a specially prepared Octavia, Skoda demonstrates the diverse application possibilities of the new materials.

A particularly suitable material has already registered Skoda patent for use in the interior of its vehicles, so the manufacturer in a recent communication: Skoda colors sugar beet snows using a special procedure to put with you, for example, design accents. The automobile manufacturer receives the material directly from the village of Dobrovice not far from the main plant in Mladá Boleslav. In this way, long supply chains can be avoided and optimize the CO2 footprint.

Another sustainable material has won Skoda from the Schilfart Miscanthus: The fibers can be processed accordingly and use, for example, for door trims. Organic residues from production are particularly suitable as an ecological raw material: they can be used to use without having to use other materials. Therefore, the need for industrially manufactured starting materials decreases.

“It is our claim to take a pioneering role in the topic of sustainability. We are holding this project holistically and take much more views than just the CO2 emissions of our vehicle fleet. We are also consistently focusing on the exploration and use of ecologically recovered materials and, for example, check how to use materials such as coconut fibers or rice powers.”- Johannes Neft, Executive Board for Technical Development Skoda

Together with the Technical University of Liberec, Skoda continuously works on innovative and sustainable materials that can be used in vehicle production. Matching new basic materials tests the manufacturer in a specially prepared Octavia. Floor and right side edge of the so-called demonstrator were removed to enable designers and designers a free view of the interior. Here you process the new materials and check for haptics and fit. To get an accurate picture of which materials are suitable for use in the production model. The cladding of doors and roof columns are made of fabric tissue on Miscanthus base, as well as coming into the door panels and on the dashboard sugar beet cheese used.

Skoda relies on eco materials and researches biological raw materials-skodaSkoda

Skoda designs vehicle production as sustainable as possible: In the purely electric SUV Enyaq IV, the seat covers of the Design Selection Lodge are 30 percent from the wool, which is certified according to the strict requirements of Woolmark Company. The remaining 70 percent of the fabric comes from the polyester recycled PET bottles. The covers offer a unique feel, according to their own statement and should provide a pleasant seat climate. Also in the leather, Skoda pay attention to a particularly sustainable production: the Cognac colored leather of the Design Selection EcoSuite is tanned instead of chemicals with an extract of the leaves of the olive tree.

Another possibility for the use of renewable raw materials is the regenerative fuel HVO to which the diesel engines of the Skoda vehicles should be converted from the model year 2022. Pure HVO is already available in Sweden and Finland. It is produced from different renewable raw materials. The use of these energy sources should be able to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by up to 90 percent.

Related articles

Please follow and like us:

1 thought on “Skoda relies on eco materials and researches biological raw materials”

Leave a Comment